1. Butler T., Al Khalil, F., O’Brien, L. and Ceci, M. (2017). Smart Contracts and Distributed Ledger Technologies in Financial Services: Keeping Lawyers in the Loop Banking & Financial Services Policy Report, 36 (9), pp. 1-11.
2. Butler, T., O’Brien, L. Ceci, M., and Al Khalil, F. Why Lawyers need to take a SmaRT Approach when using RegTech to Unpack Regulations. GRCTC White Paper, September 2017.
3. Butler, T and Brooks, R. (2017). Understanding and Decision Making in the Financial Industry: Perspectives from the Rough Ground, Working Paper, September, 2017.
4. Butler, T. (2017). Advancing Industry Best Practices by Zooming in on Why RegTech Needs SemTech Standards. Presentation to NPF & RegTech Leaders Forum, 6-7 September 2017, 20 p.
5. Butler, T. (2017). Navigating Through the Changing Regulatory Landscape to Harness Innovation Opportunities while Infusing Compliance Best Practices. Panel Member, NPF & RegTech Leaders Forum, 6-7 September 2017.
6. Butler, T. (2017). From FinTech to RegTech: What’s in IT for me? Panel Member, NPF & RegTech Leaders Forum, 6-7 September 2017.
7. O’Neill, J., Robin, C., O’Brien, L., & Buitelaar, P. (2017). An Analysis of Topic Modelling for Legislative Texts. ASAIL’17, London, UK, 2017, 1-8.
8. O’Neill, J., Buitelaar, P., Robin, C., & O’Brien, L. (2017). Classifying Sentential Modality in Legal Language: A Use Case in Financial Regulations, Acts and Directives. ICAIL’17, London, UK, 2017, 1-10.
9. Ceci, M., Butler, T., O’Brien, L. and Al Khalil, F. (2017). Legal Patterns for Different Constitutive Rules, Workshop on `MIning and REasoning with Legal texts’ (MIREL), Kings College London, June 16th, 2017, 1-11.
10. Butler, T. and Ceci, M. (2017). Using SemTech to Make Compliance and Reporting with Accounting Standards Easier, GRCTC White Paper, 1-10.
11. Butler, T. and Ceci, M. (2017). Using SemTech to Enrich Reporting Frameworks, GRCTC White Paper, 1-9.
12. Al Khalil, F., Butler, T., O’Brien, L. and Ceci, M. (2017). Trust in Smart Contracts is a Process, As Well. In WTSC17, 1st Workshop on Trusted Smart Contracts, 2017, Malta 1-10.
13. Butler, T. (2017). Towards a Standards-based Technology Architecture for RegTech. Journal of Financial Transformation, 45, April 2017, 49-59,
14. Butler, T., O’Sullivan, P., Yahoudzik, D., Cowap, P. and Daly, M. (2017). A Systematic Approach for Managing and Supervising Conduct Culture and Risk, GRCTC White Paper, 11 p. July, 2017.
15. Butler, T and Brooks, R. (2017). Toward building a Sustainable Culture in the Financial Industry through Organisational Learning, GRCTC Working Paper, 14 p. April 2017.
16. Butler, T. (2017). Standards-based Semantic Technologies for Smart Regulation. Global Data Standards Conference, Presentation to the Global Standards for Granular Data Working Conference, European Central Bank, Frankfurt, 20 p. March 28-29th 2017.
17. Butler, T. (2017). Standards-based Semantic Technologies for Smart Regulation. GRCTC White Paper, 14 p. March 2017.
18. O’Sullivan, P. (2017) Regulatory Relationships and Incentives: From Riggs Bank to HSBC, International Journal of Law and Management, 1-11.
19. Butler, T and Brooks, R. (2017). New Light through Old Windows: How to Fix the Problem of Managing Business Risk, Working Paper, March 2017.
20. Al Khalil, F., Butler, T., O’Brien, L. and Ceci, M. (2017). A Solution for the Problems of Translation and Transparency in Smart Contracts, GRCTC White Paper, 2017.
21. Butler, T. (2017). Standards-based Semantic Technologies for Smart Regulation, GRC Technology Centre, GRCTC White Paper, 2017, 1-14.
22. Butler, T., Ceci, M., and Naz, T. Introducing FiORO: The Financial Industry Operational Risk Ontology, GRCTC Working Paper, 2017, 1-13.
23. Butler, T. (2017). Towards RegTech 1.0: Report on Financial Services Innovation at the GRCTC, Presented to the Centre Steering Committee February 24th, 2016, 1-6.
24. Butler, T. and Brooks, R. (2016). New Perspectives on the Management of Enterprise Risk, Presented at the GRCTC Second Annual Symposium, Dec 14th 2016, 1-21.
25. Butler, T and O’Sullivan P. (2016) Project Arete: Modelling Conduct Risk from a Regulatory Perspective, GRCTC White Paper, 1-14.
26. Butler, T. (2016) Reflections on the Role of the Chief Risk Officer in Managing Enterprise-wide Risk. Deloitte Risk Advisory, Working Paper, 1-9.
27. Butler, T., Cowap, P. and Brooks, R. (2016) An Ounce of Prevention: GRC Systems in a Risk Intelligent Enterprise. Deloitte Risk Advisory, Working Paper, 1-10.
28. Butler, T and Brooks, R. (2016). Managing Uncertainty with the Risk Advisory Framework. Deloitte Risk Advisory, Draft Working Paper, 1-9.
29. Al Khalil, F., Ceci, M., Yapa, K. and O’Brien, L., (2016), July. SBVR to OWL 2 Mapping in the Domain of Legal Rules. In International Symposium on Rules and Rule Markup Languages for the Semantic Web (pp. 258-266). Springer International Publishing.
30. O’Sullivan, P. (2016) HSBC Mexico AML Failings: A Case Study, Journal of Money Laundering Control Vol.19(2) 208-218.
31. Ceci, M., Al Khalil, F. and O’Brien, L., (2016) Making Sense of Regulations with SBVR. RuleML 2016 Challenge, Doctoral Consortium and Industry Track hosted by the 10th International Web Rule Symposium (RuleML 2016).
32. Butler, T., Abi-Lahoud, E., and Espinoza, A. 35th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) Fort Worth, Texas, December 13-16, Designing Semantic Technologies for Regulatory Change Management in the Financial Industry, 2015, 11 p.
33. Butler, T. 1st GRC Symposium, Dublin, (2015) Friday October 30th, From Problems to Solutions for GRC in the Financial Industry, 2015. 11 p.
34. Butler, T. and Abi Lahoud, E. (2014) Applying Semantic Technologies for Risk Data Aggregation, Consortium for System Risk Analytics (CSRA) Meeting, MIT Sloan Center for Finance and Policy, Cambridge, MA, December, 2014, 1-10.
35. Abi-Lahoud, E., O’Brien, L. and Butler, T. (2014) ‘On the Road to Regulatory Ontologies: Interpreting Regulations with SBVR’ In: In, AI Approaches to the Complexity of Legal Systems, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
36. Butler, T. and Abi-Lahoud, E. (2014) A Mechanism-based Explanation of the Institutionalization of Semantic Technologies in the Financial Industry IFIP WG 8.6 Creating Values for All Through IT, Birgitta Bergvall-Kåreborn and Peter Axel Nielsen (eds.), IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology (IFIP AICT), Springer, Berlin
37. Espinoza, A. Abi-Lahoud, E., and Butler, T. (2014) Ontology-Driven Financial Regulatory Change Management: An Iterative Development Process 2nd. Semantic Web and Linked Open Data workshop (SW-LOD), Enc 2014. 5th, November; Oaxaca, México
38. Butler, T. and Abi-Lahoud, E. (2014) A Hermeneutic Approach to Solving the Translation Problem in Designing Ontologies 22nd. European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Tel Aviv, Israel, 2014
39. Abi-Lahoud, E., Espinoza Limon, A., O’Brien, L., and Butler, T. (2014) Ontology-enabled Regulatory Change Management Third UK Ontology Network Workshop, Birmingham, April 2014
40. O’Brien, L., Abi-Lahoud, E., and Butler, T. (2014) Disambiguating Financial Regulations for Governance, Risk and Compliance with Semantic Technologies Third UK Ontology Network Workshop, Birmingham, April 2014.
41. Elgammal, A. and Butler, T. (2014) Towards a Framework for Semantically-enabled Compliance Management in Financial Services 1st International Workshop on Knowledge Aware Service Oriented Applications (KASA’14)
42. Butler, T. and Abi-Lahoud, E. (2013) Explaining the Adoption of Semantic Technologies in the Financial Industry: A Mechanism-based Explanation of Institutional Change IFIP 8.2 OASIS Working Conference, Milan, 2013.
43. Abi-Lahoud, E. Butler, T. Chapin, D., and Hall, J. (2013) Interpreting Regulations with SBVR The 7th International Web Rule Symposium: Research Based and Industry Focused
44. Butler, T. (2013) Towards a Mechanism-Based Theory of Institutional Change in the Financial Industry. [Invited Seminars/Guest Lectures], Department of IT Management Seminar, Copenhagen Business School, February 18th 2013, 22 pages.
45. O’Brien, L., Abi-Lahoud, E., and Lombard, J. (2013) Using Business Natural Language to Capture Financial Regulations in a Collaborative Ontology Development Process, Law Via the Internet, Jersey, 26-27 September 2013.
46. Lombard, J., O’Brien, L., and Abi-Lahoud, E. (2013) The Use of Semantic Technologies to Support Compliance with Financial Regulations, Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference, University of Edinburgh, 6 September 2013.
47. Lombard, J., and O’Brien, L. (2013) The International Response to Money Laundering: An Examination of the External Forces which have shaped Money Laundering Regulations in the European Union and the United States, Irish Society of Comparative Law Annual Conference, NUI Galway, 24-25 May 2013.
48. O’Brien, L., and Lombard, J. (2013) The use of a legal ontology to support governance, risk and compliance in the financial services industry, British and Irish Law Education and Technology Association, University of Liverpool, 10-12 April 2013.
49. O’Kane, T., Casserly, T. and McCartney P, (2013) The Financial Industry Maturity Model for Anti-Money Laundering (FIMM (AML)), presented at Innofin Conference, Singapore Management University October 2013.
50. Krdzavac, N. Haque, R.and Butler T. (2012) An IFRS Compliant Balance Sheet Metamodel 2nd Workshop on Model Driven Approaches in System Development (MDASD) Wroclaw, Poland,
51. Krdzavac, N. Haque, R. and Butler T. (2012) Web-based Reasoning With Balance Sheets 35th German Conference on Artificial Intelligence (KI2012) Saarbrücken, Germany.
52. Haque, R. Krdzavac, N. and Butler, T. (2012) Transforming Nescient Action into Intelligent Action International Conference on Data and Knowledge Engineering (ICDKE 2012), Wu Yi Shan / China, November 2012
53. Butler, T. (2012) Semantic Technologies for SMART Regulation – Overview and Business Applications. [Invited Lectures (Workshops)], OMG Technical Meeting, Jacksonville, Florida , 10-SEP-12 – 14-SEP-12.